Monday, January 23, 2012

The Year of the Dragon!

No culture in the world does fireworks like the Chinese!

When we moved to Changsha, the first thing my wife and I noticed was the sounds of fireworks going off at all hours of the day and night. I asked one of my students, "why do people shoot off so many fireworks?" He answered, "This is Hunan Province." Until our first Chinese New Year's celebration, I really didn't know what he meant.


Unlike the United States, where the most you can buy is a maybe some bottle rockets or roman candles, in Changsha, on every street corner, it's possible to purchase a professional aerial display for less than 10 dollars. Indeed, a friend of mine and I bought a single 75 pound display. The gunpowder packed in this one box could blow off an arm or a leg...


The following 30 second video was taken from our apartment balcony:


This exploding celebration went on for more than an hour.
Over 1,000,000 exploding fireworks! Truly Unbelievable!